UMCC

UMCC
University of Montevallo Concert Choir

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Laura Thomas




The University of Montevallo 2015 Choir Tour was my first time ever being out of the country. I had no idea what to expect, but it ended up being one of the most interesting, eye-opening experiences I’ve ever had. I tend to be a planner, so as soon as I heard we were traveling to Prague, Budapest, and Vienna, I opened Google Maps… and immediately searched for coffee shops in each city. Priorities, right? As it turns out, I didn’t need to be so prepared. Even the continental breakfast in each hotel featured a swanky espresso machine. That’s one thing I noticed about European culture – no matter where you are, you can find quality things to eat, watch, or buy.

Of course, the main purpose of this trip was not to fuel my caffeine dependency… it was to sing! And we certainly did a lot of that. Every single cathedral we sang in, from the sweet little St. Lawrence in Hodonin, Czech Republic to massive, ornate St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna, was beautiful to look at and just as lovely to sing in. The high ceilings and stone walls made every song ring like I had never heard it before. Each audience we sang for seemed very appreciative, smiling and thanking us even when they didn’t speak any English.

That’s one thing I loved about our time in Europe. Almost everyone we interacted with was happy to meet us and willing to help us if we needed anything, from directions to restaurant recommendations. The language barrier was harder to negotiate than I thought; you don’t normally think about how much you speak to communicate with people! Still, everyone I met was kind and obliging. In one restaurant in Hungary, the chef had prepared schnitzel (chicken or pork hammered thin and then battered and fried) for everyone in the choir, and when I explained to the waiter that I did not eat meat, he had the chef prepare some vegetable strudel just for me. I was amazed, and that’s just a small example of the hospitality of the European people we had the pleasure of meeting.

By the end of the trip, I found myself wishing I had another week. And though I returned home very tired, a little sniffly, and completely out of clean socks, I knew that I wouldn’t forget the great memories I made on this choir tour. It has made our friendships stronger and our singing better. I’m so thankful for everyone who worked hard to the choir tour possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment